nafex - [RibesNAFEX] Mulching new currants

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: RibesNAFEX@topica.com
  • Subject: [RibesNAFEX] Mulching new currants
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 09:54:37 -0400 (EDT)

Hello All,

Would the follwing be overkill in mulching currants for their first
winter. Please keep in mind that these plants were just rooted this past
spring, and had a poor growing season (heat, drought).

a) 1" of compost in a 12" diameter circle around plant

b) Newspaper, two sheets thick over compost.

c) 3" of bark mulch on top of newspaper
(free stuff from town yard)

I am not planning on mowing down the grass that has grown between the
rows, which is 6-8" tall.

I am not sure how well the plants root systems have grown, and want to
offer them the most protection this winter season.

The bark mulch and newspaper will be removed in the spring.

Thanks,
Tom