nafex - RE: [nafex] interim plantings

  • From: "Erdman, Jim" <erdmanj@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "'del stubbs '" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>, "'nafex@yahoogroups.com '" <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: RE: [nafex] interim plantings
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 11:18:37 -0500

I recall reading, years ago, that some studies of this type of planting
wasn't cost-effective over the long term for a number of reasons. One of
the things that I recall was that the owner/orchardist/gardner usually left
the "interim" crop in too long (not wanting to "weed out" a cash producing
crop), and that it therefore gave the "main" crop unnecessary competition,
so that in the long run, an orchard without the between-the-rows
shorter-lived crop started producing sooner, and had better overall
production.
I think this may have been mentioned in "The Owner Built Homestead", by Ken
Kern. Will try to remember to look tonight.

Jim Erdman (Menomonie, WI)