nafex - Re: [nafex] Pest resistant apples

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Pest resistant apples
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 20:44:48 -0700

There is variation in pest resistance, but it's so slippery, depending on
the climate. I can grow apples that have no disease and the same variety
would be a mess for someone in the climate of the midwest. However, I have
been looking for varieties that have resistance to insects, with no definite
results so far. Though one, "Redstone Gold" (sold by St. Lawrence) turned
out to have very good disease resistance, if no special insect resistance.
-Lon Rombough
----------
>From: "Gord Hawkes" <logcabinorchard@cyberus.ca>
>To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: [nafex] Pest resistant apples
>Date: Tue, Sep 25, 2001, 6:21 PM
>

>Greetings all. First I apologize to any who saw this message on the apple
>crop list. I have noticed that some apples tend to be more pest (not
>disease) resistant than others. We grow our apples organically and have
>found that generally Macs are rather pest resistant and Cortlands are
>terribly pest prone. I would like to hear the experience of others - I
>realize there are many variables at play but I'd be interested in hearing
>what others have noticed.
>
>Best regards,
>

>Gord Hawkes
>Log Cabin Orchard
>Osgoode, ON
>Canada, Eh?

>4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting and
>NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was large).

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/MDsVHB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM