nafex - Re: [nafex] Pest resistant apples

  • From: Ed & Pat Fackler <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Pest resistant apples
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 09:50:49 -0400

Tom and Joe:

There is yet another lil' quirk to so-called environmental influences
re: pest pressures/damage, etc.
That is the influence of local environmental influences within major or
larger cities. Or, the influence of related auto/industrial pollution,
asphalt, etc. (and lack of abundant alternate hosts) literally reduces the
number of insect pests (and perhaps fungal as well) which can thrive in
such conditions. I've a few friends who live in cities (damned few
actually!!) who claim not to have that many pests in fruit trees.
So there you have it. Or, food production within the US (perhaps the
entire world) is totally artificial due simply to human population and/or
related distribution/activities.

Jeez, I'm certainly glad we got over this. Like I iz' plum worn out
from this here great release of intellect(???)!!!

Ed, So. Indiana, still in Kosmic bliss!!

Tom Olenio wrote:

> jhecksel@voyager.net wrote:
>
> > Ed Fackler wrote:
>
> > I think it would be an interesting
>
> > experiment to try to mimic, and then manipulate, the
> > variables that
> > these mythical trees grow in.
> >
> > -Severe N stress (Two things happen: Alternate bearing so
> > no host
> > every other year and low protein available for worms,
> > etc.)
> > -Many hungry animals constantly scouring the ground for
> > windfalls
> > (which I believe the trees tend to release earlier than
> > healthiest
> > fruit.
> > -Nearest alternate host tree +200 yards (200 meters) away.
>
> Hi,
>
> Don't forget larger populations of predator insects/birds
> that eat inscet pests.
>
> Tom

> 4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting and
> NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was large).

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/MDsVHB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM