nafex - [nafex] Wickson crab

  • From: "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Wickson crab
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 14:46:00 -0700

Lucky,

Fr Fiala "Ornamental Crabapples" says is 'Wickson is an apple not a crabapple.
Subject to moderate scab.

He says there's an example at Holden Arboretum and another at Michigan State U
Beaumont Nursery

Crawford "Directory of Apple Cultivars" lists it as a crabapple ripening
Sept-Oct,
doesn't store, very resistant to CAR, crabapple= very small, oblong, yellow &
brilliant red, flesh very sweet, juicy, used for cooking and cider, high
vigour,
heavy cropper, Newtown Pippin x Esopus Spitzenburg, origin California.

The International Ornamental Crabapple Society operates out of Holden
Arboretum
and one contact person is Peter Bristol pbristol@holdenarb.org

Hope this helps,

Derry

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase email: wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove, B. C., Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Home web page http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
----- Original Message ----- : dozen fruit from the outset - one of only 2 or
3

: On another note, the tree I purchased as a "Wickson Crab" from Bear Creek
: several years ago managed to set and hold a few apples, but they were NOT
: anything like what I'd expect a 'crab' to be - actually a fairly large
: apple, yellow with a red cheek. Flavor nothing to hoot about, and rapidly
: became mealy, almost like a Yellow Transparent(It's not YT or Lodi,
: though). Makes me think that one was mis-labeled. Does anyone in the
: group have Wickson, and if so, can you give a description of the fruit?
: Lucky Pittman
: USDA Zone 6
: Hopkinsville, KY

FREE COLLEGE MONEY