nafex - [nafex] Williams' Pride

  • From: "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Williams' Pride
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 21:39:51 -0700

Hélène,

Fruit Varieties Journal 46 (3): 145-166 1992
Breeding Apples for Scab Resistance: 1945-1990 (all about the PRI breeding
program)

Williams' Pride was tested as Co op 23 (PRI 2845-1 = PRI 1018-101 x NJ 50)
Introduced as Williams' Pride 1988 US Plant patent No 6268.

It's interesting to note that it is Williams' Pride not William's Pride! How
that
for trivia?

Derry

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase email: wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove, B. C., Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Home web page http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

We have a difference of opinion on the origin of the Williams Pride and I am
expressing serious doubts about Purdue, etc. being the developpers of Williams
Pride. I think, I have read somewhere that Purdue, etc. received the apple in
1983, for testing, and released it in 1988. I have heard several arguments to
demonstrate that Purdue, etc. are the originator, which failled to convince
me and
you just provided another one with your list of PRI in the name of all their
apples. So now, I know where the PRIde part of it came from.
But, my point of view is that Williams Pride is a very old apple which was
simply
tested by Purdue, etc. and not developped by them, which is something else
altogether. Maybe, they simply provided their approval as far as disease
resistance goes. And the new name, too. Who knows!
Can you provide some light on this topic...
Do you know anyone, who could?
Thanks so much...
Hélène

Monitoring Service trial