nafex - Re: [nafex] Apples Trivias

  • From: Ed & Pat Fackler <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Apples Trivias
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 04:06:54 -0400

"H.Dessureault" wrote:

> Doreen,
> I just read your interesting post and something struck me because it
> brings up a discussion that I am currently having with another member of
> this group. Since the subject is Apple Trivias, here goes. :)
> We have a difference of opinion on the origin of the Williams Pride and I
> am expressing serious doubts about Purdue, etc. being the developpers of
> Williams Pride. I think, I have read somewhere that Purdue, etc. received
> the apple in 1983, for testing, and released it in 1988. I have heard
> several arguments to demonstrate that Purdue, etc. are the originator,
> which failled to convince me and you just provided another one with your
> list of PRI in the name of all their apples. So now, I know where the PRIde
> part of it came from.
> But, my point of view is that Williams Pride is a very old apple which was
> simply tested by Purdue, etc. and not developped by them, which is
> something else altogether. Maybe, they simply provided their approval as
> far as disease resistance goes. And the new name, too. Who knows!
> Can you provide some light on this topic...
> Do you know anyone, who could?

My response----------

Like all so-called "PRI" apples, William's Pride did indeed originate
from this breeding program and was (unfortunately*) named in honor of Ed
Williams who was involved in the entire process for some 30 years. To check
out the history of PRI go to Purdue' New Crop website.
William's Pride is one of the finest early apples available save for one
persistent problem. That is its severe
sensativity to ca. deficiencies, or the tree itself (on most rootstocks) has
a difficult time in ca. distribution to fruit.
And as a consequence, bitter-pit is a problem in most years. This problem
may be corrected by application of
hydrated lime (ca. in a readily available-to-the-tree form) at the drip line.
Foliar ca. is generally not a solution.
*The reason why I think its name is inappropriate is that in and of
itself, the name doesn't imply or inspire anything. And this is not a cut on
Ed Williams either. I've known Ed for many years and he is a decent sort.

Speaking of the PRI program, origin of Vf (scab resistant) gene, etc.
as information there are several known
races or mutant forms of scab. And in a few isolated ares in Europe the Vf
gene doesn't work or there is a race (No. 5 or 6.) which infects these
apples. Conversely, in a few isolated areas here in the states (Pacific NW,
west of the Cascades, I believe), scab doesn't infect some apples with N. Spy
(susceptible back east) in the progeny. Spigold comes to mind or a NAFEXer
(whom I can't recall) told several years ago that Spigold simply didn't get
scab when grown in the Seattle area and many, many others are heavily infected
each year.

Anyway, to acquire a new resistant source for scab and other hopefully
desirable breeding characteristics is the central reason why Phil Forsline,
Herb Aldwinkle (and others) made collection trips to Kazahstan over the last
10-15 years. Also, Frank Browning, in doing reasearch on his book, The Apple
went to Kazahstan to view for himself these very old seedling trees and
acquire personal history of these old seedling apple trees.
Lastly, MAIA (a private breeding program here in the midwest) was
fortunate enough to acquire several hundred Kazah apple seedlings which are
now growing at Dawes Arboretum near Newark, Ohio. Many of these
seedlings have late bloom, have been screened for resistance to several
common diseases, etc. Hopefully, among them will be some which possess
enough legit qualities for breeding purposes.

To another item re: apple. Don Yellman recently mentioned something
about Geneva Crab. As information, this is a very large (2.5 to 3.5" when
thinned properly) redfleshed crab with very high acids. Also, be advised that
it is a triploid which means that it will require a nearby pollinator. The
tree is absolutely beautiful with good form, maroonish-green leaves which are
very large, large pinkish-maroon flowers and of course, the flesh is deep
maroon with uniform color to the seed cavity (vs mottled, like a lot of
redfleshed apples.). It's chief value (other than landscape) is cider
blending and with the addition of a nonbrowning agent, it will make a pinkish
colored cider. Fred Janson had this process down to a fine science.

This is a bit windy, but thought you'd like know some of these little
details of apples.

Ed, So. Indiana, heaven, etc.

> Thanks so much...
> Hélène