nafex - Re: [nafex] Help

  • From: "Richard J. Ossolinski" <osso@acadia.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Help
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 23:36:43 -0400

Waite,
My guess is that you have wooly apple aphid. We're bombed with it here in
Gouldsboro this
year, probably because the beneficial predators were so late to show up
(negative consequence of thinning with carbaryl?) A bit of WWA here and
there usually doesn't warrant major concern, but it can be pretty nasty stuff
if it gets down amoung the roots, where it causes the formation of
undesireable gall
tissue that can cause affected roots to stop functioning, which, in turn, can
result in retarded growth, stunting, or even death, especially in young trees.
There are several natural predators/parasites, however, and I've read that
cover sprays for codling moth can control minor infestations.
Good luck.
Richard

waite8@aol.com wrote:

> This morning I was prunning the water sprouts on my apple trees. On some of
> them I noticed a white foam around some of the joints. When I would rub it
> between my fingers it was wet to the touch, a little slimy and slightly
> stifcy. Any idea what it is, and should I worry and eliminate it. If so,
> what
> is the treatment. Thanks, Waite Maclin, Cushing, Maine

The Nissan Sentra
Everything but compact
http://NissanDriven.com
http://us.click.yahoo.com/3vsIKC/txlCAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM