nafex - Re: [nafex] Meyer Lemon

  • From: hector black <hblack@TWLakes.Net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Meyer Lemon
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 16:16:16 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Sam Franc <franc@oregonfast.net>
To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2001 1:56 PM

> hector black wrote:
>
> > Hi Sam,
> > I've generally had good luck with citrus, but of course it is a
> > lot
> > warmer here in summer. Everything is outdoors all summer to get all
> > the sun
> > possible. They are watered every day, even if the soil is somewhat
> > moist
> > looking and feeling. They all go into a sun room for the winter when
> > frosts
> > start, but I try to put the best ones out for sun on warm winter
> > days. The
> > sunroom gets down to 34 F. on some nights, but that doesn't seem to
> > harm
> > anything. The Meyer is forever putting out flowers and forming fruits
> >
> > except in Nov. Dec. Others seem to flower mainly once a year.
> > This may shock you, but the only fertilizer I use is urine,
> > diluted 50%
> > with water. About once every 3 weeks in summer. To get rid of the
> > smell,
> > just water lightly after. Citquats are loaded, got quite a few
> > grapefruit,
> > lemonquat, kumquat, calamondin (another perennial bloomer and bearer)
> > and a
> > few that haven't done anything yet.
> > Hector Black zone 6 middle TN
>
> Hector,
> Thanks for the input.
> Do you heat the sunroom in the winter?
> Never been in TN but have been in KY when it was downright cold.
> Louisville.
> When we lived in CA we grew a lot of citrus but that was out in the
> orchard.
> We always waited till the soil was dry on top to water.
> Pot growing is an entirely new experience.
> Sam

Sam, We don't heat the sunroom in winter - just leave the door open to
living room when it's going to be real cold (that's 25 or below for us). at
night. Also open slightly in the day if it's cloudy and very cold. Once
the fruit is mature, I try to keep them semi-dormant until I can put the
outside. Hector