nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: So what is the point?

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: So what is the point?
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 12:15:14 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

A good example of community outreach which I do, is with Cub Scouts. Part
of earning certain badges involves growing a tree, and general plant
knowledge.

I take this opportunity to give them germinated apple seeds, and each boy
plants two. One he takes home and takes care of himself, the other I
manage for him until he returns in September.

In September Canadian Scouts sell apples door-to-door to raise money
(Apple Day), and I will give them the choice of keeping their apple whip,
or selling it on Apple Day.

This is the first year, and I will bet you every boy will keep his apple
whip.

I just have to make sure they all survive. (smile) Maintaining 24 apple
seedlings in 1 liter grow bags is possible (so far).

Regards,
Tom

--
Thomas Olenio