nafex - [nafex] Re: So what is the point?

  • From: fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: So what is the point?
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 22:44:13 -0000

Steve wrote:

that value is their unique genetic profile

My reply:

Hello steve, thanks for your commentary. Does anyone "in the know"
care to offer commentary on the reality of genetic diversity in
reference to Malus, Prunus, and Pyrus. I understand in the case of
Malus that there essentially is no diversity. The modern disease
resistance stemming from on crabapple, and the antiques basically so
in bred that it is just random chance of the same genetic material.
This is a way of saying there is little value in preserving most of
the stuff as it just doesn't have much genetic drift in the first
place.

Besides does not our national germ plasm repositories know recognize
and handle this type of thing.

Informed opinion anyone?

Curious, the rabbit