nafex - [nafex] Re: So what is the point?

  • From: fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: So what is the point?
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 04:23:45 -0000

Tom wrote:

I don't know the politics of NAFEX, or how/if
the "bunny" colored that history in his review.

My reply:

I tried to use much constraint in my commentary and still allow it to
have a little "biting" flavor in order to provoke some discussion.
But I do not think I colored anything. I tried to avoid
specifics, names, and situations, although it was very tempting.
In general such additional flavorful comments serve little purpose,
except to jerk a few people's emotional cords. I am more concerned
with motivating NAFEX.

Tom wrote:

I will only say that I don't expect the leadership of NAFEX to try and
keep everybody happy. Leadership is not keeping everyone happy, but
leading individuals into doing what is best for the group.

My reply:

Can't say I agree in the slightest; but I can respect your opinion as
I know it is held by an intelligent, thoughtful man.

Leadership has little to do with what is good for the group. As
an example such a mentality woud lead to the purposeful isolation and
elimination of all of the people infected with HIV. A similar
principle would be followed for genetically transmittable disorders.
The Nazi party practiced such measures. I think we all might agree
that would not neccesarily be the most appropraite definition of
leadership.

I would think that one small part of leadership would be balancing the
needs and desires of a group against the intrinsic rights of the
individuals. But leadership thoughts and desires without
implementation is useless.

Tom wrote:

We all know that things that do not grow and improve eventually die,

My reply:

Nothing personal, but "poppycock". Matsumura Orthodox has 6 known
practitioners in the world. In many ways it is more secure now then
in the past. In large part this is because we now have so many forms
of media available for preserving knowldege: video, audio, books,
webpages, etc all available in lutiple languages with nearly universal
access.

Tom wrote:

This particular truth carries through to all things.

My rpely:

One again I shall reject your supposition in both the strong and weak
form. But that is what makes life interesting. Little differnces in
people's perception of the world.

Tpm wrote:

If membership is dwindling, and there is a cash surplus, NOW is the
time to take action regarding the future of NAFEX. If we wait till
there is no more cash, and only a handful of members, it will be too
late for NAFEX.

My reply:

I might have once thought so, but with the net...heck the archives can
live on into perpituity. So can NAFEX.

Tom wrote:

Like I said to the "benny" in a private reply; Why bother? Because I
want NAFEX to be around for my children, my grandchildren, and beyond.

My reply:

Okay, fair enough. Visceral responses are acceptable. But I do not
see a real answer to "why". What so you think is going to happen if
membership declines and NAFEX disappears? Pomona was printed, copies
can go to national archives, on-line, whatever. And the knowledge can
alwasy be rediscovered. NAFEX, the county agents etc all will leae
enough clues so the knowledge base can be revitalized at any time.

Once again I ask, so what differenc does a declining enrollment make.
Why the big concern. What has Nafex done with its 2000+ enrollment
over the past decade? I don't recall them joingin forces in any
political moves. I don't recall them funding much of anything. I
don't see scholarships to "ag" students, city memorail gardens etc. So
once again, what is the point?

By the by Tom, I am sure you know that I am deliberately trying to be
provacative and there is nothing personal in this.

The bunny