nafex - Re: [nafex] Supplement to Del's heavenly Evans

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Supplement to Del's heavenly Evans
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 08:33:05 -0700

Lucky - don't bother trialing Canadian saskatoons there. They are adapted
to the plains, and even here, at latitude 45, they don't perform well.
First problem is extreme susceptibility to rust. Second is a "burst" growth
habit - one shot of growth in the spring,then they stop and you can't make
them move for the rest of the season. Makes training a nuisance. They also
bloom extremely early early. I have some of the local forms grafted on them
and the local one looks dead when the Canadian part is all leafed out. It
blooms at least a month or more later. The only thing I would use the
Canadian type for is breeding, as the fruit is the best flavored of the ones
I've tried.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, more, plus word on my grape book at
http://www.bunchgrapes.com