nafex - Re: [nafex] Orchards and borer attack

  • From: Phil Norris <COUSINPHIL@ACADIA.NET>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Orchards and borer attack
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 21:11:17 -0400

Helene,

I also have a serious borer problem just as you described. One thing
that really works is to keep a two foot diameter of bare soil around
the tree. Borers love to hide behind dense foliage and those white
plastic spirals. They don't like it when they are exposed. Doesn't
work 100% but it helps.

A nurseryman friend has come up with a pretty effective borer cage.
A collar of soft foam is wrapped around the trunk about a foot up.
Then a piece of screen about 15 inches wide is laid around the trunk
and stapled together tightly around the collar. The lower edge is
buried in the soil. The beauty of it is that the cage can expand
with the tree.

The method I personally use is a piece of piano wire and eternal vigilance.

Phil Norris
Blue Hill Maine
Z4