nafex - Re: [nafex] Hole in Apple tree

  • From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Hole in Apple tree
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 14:42:17 +0000

Hi Derry,
My father in law has done both - drilled the hole to drain and eventually
filled with
cement. He scraped out all rotting or moist wood first and also capped it
with sheet
metal to keep out additional moisture. It has been about ten years since and
the tree
appears fine. I personally feel that depending on the extent of damage, age
of tree,
etc., if the hole is drilled and the inside kept from further rotting, the
tree should
be fine as long as the actively growing tissues can stay healthy. Cement can
be useful
for adding strength to an otherwise weakened trunk.
vic NH zone 3