nafex - Re: [nafex] Ramially chipped wood

  • From: rick valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Ramially chipped wood
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 01 09:18:43 -0700

>The article didn't limit the source to poplars, as I recall, any
>deciduoius tree save the obvious walnut would do I believe, as long
>as the branches are three inches or less.
I believe walnut is ok too, for most things; at least the few times i've used
it, no bad signs; I understand that juglone is a root exudate, and of course,
the chips aren't in the soil.
One thing I'm wondering about is if slashers, hedge shears and machetes can
do as well as a stinking vibrating noisy hunk of greasy steel that wants to
eat your arm.
It could mean the return of the formal hedge as an integral part of a farm...
or you could do like one guy I saw, and plant red alders (nitrogen fixer)
under the power line in front of his place. He gets it trimmed and chippe d
for free! "dump 'em over here boys!"
-Rick

Rick Valley Northern Groves
PO Box 1236, Philomath, OR 97370
Mobile-(541)602-1315, hm.& msg. (541)456-4364 Bamboo catalog $3 or at
<http://www.teleport.com/~dbrooks/bamboo.html>
"Useful Bamboos and other plants‹ Permaculture education‹ Ecological design &
consultation centering on water,landform and horticultural systems"