nafex - [nafex] Ramially chipped wood

  • From: edforest55@hotmail.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Ramially chipped wood
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 11:24:26 -0000

I also have been meaning to use this type of mulch ever since I read
the article way back when. I now have a chipper shredder but it needs
fixing.
The article didn't limit the source to poplars, as I recall, any
deciduoius tree save the obvious walnut would do I believe, as long
as the branches are three inches or less.
I recall that it must be used right after chipping, (not dumped in a
heap and allowed to compost first), then laid down as a mulch a
couple of inches thick. This mulch will soon develop a network of
fungal threads (myecelia?) and the rest is done by the fungi.
According to these Canadian tests, there were amazing results, they
listed about eight different advantages to using RCW, one being
resistance to nematodes in addition to nutriment improvement.
Kevin B