nafex - [nafex] Arbor, Grape Training

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Arbor, Grape Training
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 10:11:08 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I have a grape arbor, or is the right term pergola, that I put up last
year, and I need advice on how to train the vines.

Each corner post has a 45 degree angled support. It would resemble the
letter "Y". I want to train a vine/side shoot up each angle and the main
post. How do you best do this?

Should I have three vines coming up from the ground, one following each
angle and one on the main, or train side shoots off a single main vine
coming up from the ground?

I was advised that having a second vine would be good insurance in case
one dies.

I only planted one plant at each corner, but this season I am faced with
some new bottom growth, and some longer growth from last year.

So I need to decide which to trim off, and which to train.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards,
Tom

--