nafex - Re: [nafex] topgrafting americana,prunus rootstocks

  • From: "H.Dessureault" <inter.verbis@atreide.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] topgrafting americana,prunus rootstocks
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 16:21:49 -0400

Beware moving this in your nursery, if you don't want to spend your time pulling roots.
Prunus virginiana has the unfortunate habit of spreading wildly from the root. It can send numerous underground shoots many feet. When you graft something on this type of prunus, it soon finds itself tighly surrounded by bushes of choke cherries.

Prunus pennsylvanica is even worse. The later is good for prunus rootstock but it's life is short and it is easily broken so it is usually recommended that you bury the graft union underground so your variety will make it's own root. Meanwhile, it will send roots many tens of feet in all directions. The roots are bigger than prunus virginiana and far more difficult to pull. You need picks and axes.
Both plants seems to prefer sandy soils.
On the other hand, prunus nigra, the wild plum that you find on roadsides, likes clay and has more contained growth habits.
Hélène, zone 3