nafex - [nafex] Fw: Kerr

  • From: "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Fw: Kerr
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 12:54:00 -0700

I asked my friend with the Kerr crabapple to describe it and give its
attributes.

Below is his response.

Derry

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove, B. C., Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Home web page http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

: Hi Derry;
: The following is from memory. I haven't kept notes on the
: Kerr as I have on the cider apples. I have grown a couple of trees for about
: 10 years and have grown to like it and respect it. It makes a neat, compact
: tree. It has few disease problems. The blossom is beautiful. The fruit is
: beautiful on the tree. Binennialism is a problem if you want fruit. It is a
: decent size for picking and the juice is a good cider addition. It pickles
: well too.
: The Kerr I have looks more like small apples than what is
: usually thought of as a crab. Shape is conical.They are very uniform in
: size and 4-5cm across. They tend to ripen all together and a loaded tree is
: very loaded indeed. On the tree they look a beautiful wine red with no
: scab, misshapes or disease. A few will drop when they are ripe but they
: mostly hang well.The flesh is yellowish and firm. Flavour is very sharp and
: although I don't have an acidity reading I can tell the juice produces a
: very sharp cider that would take year or two to be drinkable. They are
: usable off the tree. Keeping qualities are not great, being just a few
: weeks.
: Derek