nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: marketer's mirage

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: marketer's mirage
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 16:31:53 -0500

Christopher Mauchline wrote:
3) The grocery stores don't help. With the exception of apples and
>pears, all fruit is marketed as "Peach", "Red Plum", "Black Plum",
>etc. Which means that it may not be the same fruit from week to week,
>but the consumer isn't going to know this (Did you know that the
>standard yellow banana you see in the store is actually
>the "Cavendish"?).

I agree with everything you have written and more. Not to quibble, but most
bananas in stores are Grand Nain and Williams, not Cavendish, due to the
Chiquita and Dole Fruit Company monopolies in Central America where they
have planted vast plantations of both--varieties hybridized for heavy
production, uniform fruit size, etc. Cavendish, although a commercial
variety found in some markets, is not the main commercial banana. It's
value is that it is good breeding stock for improvements. Williams is an
off-spring of Cavendish. Cavendish also dwarfs easily, creating excellent
ornamental and home fruit producing varieties.

And, it's true if you have the fortune to eat another banana variety bred
for flavor such as Mysore and Raja Puri, you know what you are missing.
This is true with all fruits, and as NAFEX members, I see our mission to
show others that there are wonderful fruits suitable for every garden.
Doreen Howard, who just put her bedroom banana, a Raja Puri, outside for the
summer.