nafex - [nafex] columnar form

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] columnar form
  • Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 17:48:59 -0000

>From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>

>On the quality of columnar apples. First, remember that the original
>columnar type was a sport of McIntosh and all columnar types have been bred

On this subject, having just dug up from the nursery bed the last of
the
malus prunifolia that I had grafted one and 2 years ago...I knew that there
were some that had failed grafts ( and so were seedlings) and a couple were
unknown grafts (for lack of tags thaat had broken off). However, it was
immediatly evident which were the prunifolia because of the spruce tree like
form...a dead straight central with larger and larger little branches nearly
to ground on 3' 'whips'. All the grafted varieties were proper whips...just
a single leader, not straight, with only a couple odd spaced little limbs
near the top.
So, are prunifolia "columnar"?
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVVCC/YKfCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM