nafex - Re: [nafex] Saran wrap

  • From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Saran wrap
  • Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 13:54:48 +0000

Christopher,
You have to assess the damage and try to figure out how much of the top
should be allowed to grow. If you prune the top back to allow only as much as
can be fed you have a better chance of saving it.
If the growth below the damage on the Razor Russet the only growth? If so,
you may want to use it to plan a new framework.
Have you checked on how the damage was callousing? You may want to remove the
wrap to clear excessive moisture that may have built up, let it air for
a short while and rewrap.
Good luck,
vic NH zone 3

Christopher Mauchline wrote:

> Some of you might remember that I had young apple trees damage by a
> deer "polishing" his antlers last fall. Among the suggestions made
> to me, one was wrapping the damaged area w/ Saran wrap (which I did).
>
> All the trees damaged did leaf out this spring.
>
> One is showing quite a bit of growth from below the damage (Razor
> Russet).
>
> Questions:
> How long do I wait to see if the tops are going to survive?
> (Corollary: how long do I leave the the below damage growth?)
>
> When do I remove the saran wrap? Is there any danger to the trunks
> being overheated by the wrapping?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris Mauchline
> SE PA, zone 6

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVVCC/YKfCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM