nafex - Re: [nafex] screen

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] screen
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 09:38:45 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

Does the fiberglass screening keep out mice and rabbits?

A double wrap of fiberglass screening is not as tough as metal screening,
but seems as though it should be some detterent.

Anyone tried it?

I started collecting screen from the hardware store, but so far all he ha
had is fiberglass.

Regards,
Tom

--
Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Hardiness Zone 6a

On Sat, 5 May 2001, del stubbs wrote:

> The collecting of used metal window screen from the hardware store has
> worked out great..they're happy to be rid of it and we're happy to take it,
> lots. Should be enough for all 200 trees by summers end.
> The smaller the diameter I make the tube the more I get from each sheet.
> But
> the sooner it will be too small. Rabbits aren't a concern, just voles, and
> perhaps those borers (don't know if they are in our area).
> The screen cuts beautifully in a paper cutter, with scissors, or
> metal
> shears. I have'nt decided yet whether to staple it into a tube or loosely
> wrap say twice around and tie with wire (so it can be expanded later)
> Question : What dia. of tree is it no longer needed against
> voles?...if
> you were doing it what max diameter would you all make the tubes? 1", 3",
> 6", ? rootstocks are: apple (prunifolia and B118), manchurian apricot,
> pyrus
> ussuriensis, prunus americana. Thanks Mn. Del Z2/3 where 1/3 of the
> apples are green tip.

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVVCC/YKfCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM