nafex - Re: [nafex] tip bearing apple varieties?

  • From: "JERROLD KOERNER" <j.f.koerner@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] tip bearing apple varieties?
  • Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 16:05:33 -0800

Nell, We grow a very nice apple called Tydemans Early Red that is a tip
bearer. Jerry

----------
>From: "Nell Lancaster" <nlancaster@rockbridge.net>
>To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: [nafex] tip bearing apple varieties?
>Date: Fri, May 4, 2001, 4:53 AM
>

> Don Yellman said about Cortland and other tip bearers
>
>> they bloom and bear out there on the ... end of the branches, often on
>> smaller twigs. If you routinely prune this stuff off, you lose your
>> blooms. I have found that, even when the clusters are thinned to one
>> fruit, they tend not to size up as well as apples on spurs or interior
>> branches. For some reason, they also seem more vulnerable to insects and
>> diseases out there, and if they do put on any size the branches droop
>> down bigtime. I don't much like the dang things, but I've got several of
>> them, and many of the "antique" apple varieties seem to come only with
>> this style of bearing.
>
> So "tip bearing" is the opposite of "spur fruiting"? While I was reading
> up on espalier growing, there was mention of the importance of using spur
> fruiting varieties. It seemed from what I'd read that all or most apples
> were spur fruiting (vs., say xx), so I figured that most varieties would do
> fine. But now I wonder, especially about some of the antique apples I was
> thinking of using.
>
> Don, or all, are there other cultivars that come to mind as tending to tip
> bearing?
>
> Nell
>
> Nell Lancaster, Lexington VA <nlancaster@rockbridge.net>
> western foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVVCC/YKfCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM