nafex - [nafex] tip bearing apple varieties?

  • From: "Nell Lancaster" <nlancaster@rockbridge.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] tip bearing apple varieties?
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 08:53:42 -0400

Don Yellman said about Cortland and other tip bearers

> they bloom and bear out there on the ... end of the branches, often on
> smaller twigs. If you routinely prune this stuff off, you lose your
> blooms. I have found that, even when the clusters are thinned to one
> fruit, they tend not to size up as well as apples on spurs or interior
> branches. For some reason, they also seem more vulnerable to insects and
> diseases out there, and if they do put on any size the branches droop
> down bigtime. I don't much like the dang things, but I've got several of
> them, and many of the "antique" apple varieties seem to come only with
> this style of bearing.

So "tip bearing" is the opposite of "spur fruiting"? While I was reading
up on espalier growing, there was mention of the importance of using spur
fruiting varieties. It seemed from what I'd read that all or most apples
were spur fruiting (vs., say xx), so I figured that most varieties would do
fine. But now I wonder, especially about some of the antique apples I was
thinking of using.

Don, or all, are there other cultivars that come to mind as tending to tip
bearing?

Nell

Nell Lancaster, Lexington VA <nlancaster@rockbridge.net>
western foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVVCC/YKfCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM