nafex - Re: [nafex] Planting Grafted Trees

  • From: Sam Franc <franc@oregonfast.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Planting Grafted Trees
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 12:54:16 -0700

Don Yellman wrote:

> For Waite Maclin:
>
> Planting out grafted trees is a bit more complicated than just
> leaving the graft 1-2 inches above the soil line, and I am surprised
> this aspect of propagation was not covered in your grafting class.
> BTW,
> what rootstock were you grafting on? This could influence how you
> want
> to plant to achieve the final desired tree. Let's assume that you
> were
> using a "semi-dwarf" rootstock such as M-7:

I did learn something about M9 on M111 rootstocks.
I planted them at several different depths as an experiment.
The best results were to bury the tree to half way up the M9, with the
M111 cpmpletely buried.
They all grew fine.
But when the M111 is exposed I got burr knots.
Does not seem to affect the growth oor fruiting, just unsightly.
Sam

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM