nafex - [nafex] Re: living fence

  • From: "R. Keith Etheridge" <grandpa@chipsnet.com>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: living fence
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 20:20:58 -0500

If you plant multi-flora rose it will generally proliferate throughout your
pasture and is dificult to controll.
Prior to the fifties osage orange was a common living fence through central
Illinois and was effective but required maintanance so was largely removed,
although I still have a quarter mile.Osage orange is somewhat a weed in
pastures but is easier controlled.As a vet in the fifties ,it wasn't that
unusual to have in the fall a cow that swallowed a hedge ball whole,stuck in
the esophagus that required being pushed into the rumen with a big diameter
stomach tube.If any one needs seeds, I could probably find some unless the
ssquirels have ate them all.As far as thorny trees as a deterant nothing
beats honey locust.