nafex - [nafex] cold damage to trees

  • From: Ed & Pat Fackler <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: "Nafex: Greetings!" <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] cold damage to trees
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 03:13:30 -0400

Greetings, NAFEX (midwest, esp.)

Last night, temps. fell to around 20 degrees. Apples and pears are
full-bloom to 95% post bloom (esp. pear). Peaches, Japanese plum,
nectarine, etc. are in shuck-split (early fruit development).
This temperatures will not only take the fruit off, there will be some
damage to tissue (leaves, minor cracking of bark, etc.) which promotes
the rapid development of fireblight in apple and pear.
If you desire to address this problem in a meaningful way, you'd
want to consider a very quick application of streptomycin. For rapid
uptake of strep., the addition of foliar n. (regardless of form) will
help both in uptake of strep. and enhance repair of damaged foliage.
Trees without fruit still require some additonial care or pest
control, albiet reduced. I'd probably apply at least 2 more spray
applications of your regular mix to avoid CAR, scab and the usual
collection of leaf feeding insects.

Just a thought.

Ed, So. Indiana, heaven (yes, it does freeze in heaven!!), etc

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM