nafex - Re: [nafex] Dwarf Fruit Stock and GA-3

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch@vsnl.com>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Dwarf Fruit Stock and GA-3
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 11:12:26 -0800

No its not like that. If those varieties of a plant which are genetically
dwarf are treated with GA, they loose their dwarfness and attain the normal
size. For example some dwarf strains of annual flowers have been developed
through breeding. If such types are treated with GA, they will grow to the
normal height.

Dwarfing rootstocks have a different mechanism. Mostly the graft union
formed as a result of these particular rootstocks creates a sort of barrier.
This hampers normal growth and leads to stunted growth or dwarfing. GA will
not have any effect here.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
Horticultural Consultant on Lesser Known Indian Fruits
http://www.lesserknownplants.com