nafex - Re: [nafex] Plant tags

  • From: "Gordon C. Nofs" <gcnofs@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Plant tags
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:34:06 -0500

I was thinking last night as to what I might do to preserve these tags. I
think I am going to try a clear spray from a can of Krylon spray paint.
I have also used Aluminum siding cut into strips. I also had the boys at
the shop cut up a sheet of 1/16 inch aluminum and punch holes in them. I
write on one side with a carbide scribing pen.I use the heavy 1/16 copper
wire that comes out of old Micro-wave transformers for ties. I use Nursery
marking pens that last for about 4 years. I have found that the ones from
leonard's do not hold up. But the ones from Mellingers do great for me. When
I do my grafts, I use colored electrical tape and write on them with the
nursery pen. They hold up for two or three years. By then I have them
located on my Property Plot map. Hopefully?
Gordon
There are actual paint pens on the market. I have a red one made by
Testor's, and a black one made by Faber-Castel I haven't messed with them
much yet.
Gordon wrote:

>I have been experimenting with the Brother hand held "P-touch" Home and
>hobby III. It uses a 3/8 or 1/2 inch wide Metal tape. I have put them on
>grafts that I made last year. I also made 2 and put them in the shower.
The
>ones that have been in the shower are still staying, and have not faded.
But
>the ones I put outside still sticking but looking a little faded. I will
>have to wait till fall to fully evaluate them.

Speaking as one that has a large number of years of writing on
stakes, the only material that will not fade in the sun and weather
is a carbon based black ink or crayon. Not just any black but it has
to have a high carbon content and the ability to stick.

I have found that many ordinary black colored inks are not colorfast
and fade as fast as the colored ones.
--
Hank Parker
Maple syrup, apples