nafex - [nafex] FWD: Ike Kerschner's comments on Dr Good's Grapes

  • From: jhecksel@voyager.net
  • To: "nafex@yahoogroups.com" <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] FWD: Ike Kerschner's comments on Dr Good's Grapes
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 17:53:26 -0800

--

-Joe Hecksel
Eaton Rapids, Michigan

Personal webpage open to the public at
http://my.voyager.net/jhecksel
Criticism welcomed.

--- Begin Message ---
  • From: IkeandLis@aol.com
  • To: jhecksel@voyager.net
  • Subject: Re: Dr Good's Grapes
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 09:53:46 EST
Hi Joe,

    Dr. Good's grapes are essentially in limbo.  Most of the cooperators
have lost or abandoned their plantings.  Myself and 1 grower in NY have
maintained and evaluated our small plantings.  I have 42 and he has 30 or so.
 Mr. Allan Corrin in California has all the selections and was going to pull
them this past fall.  He has decided to evaluate them one more year following
my protocol and then destroy the planting.  Of my 42 only 2(45-2-3 and
45-9-2) are what could be called promising.  The rest of my planting will be
pulled this fall.  These 2 and any that seem truly interesting from CA will
eventually be made available for further testing.  I have already offered
wood of 45-2-3 to Nafex members. I will be retaining all the wood of 45-9-2
to increase it for my own production.  45-9-2 will most likely eventually be
named.  Both of these selections are seeded table grapes with the possibility
of also making uniquely flavored wine/processed products.  They both have
significant horticultural flaws that will assure that if they are named they
will always be specialty cultivars.

Ike Kerschner

--- End Message ---

  • [nafex] FWD: Ike Kerschner's comments on Dr Good's Grapes, jhecksel, 03/04/2001