nafex - Re: [nafex] Unusual Tasting Apples - Anise

  • From: Ed & Pat Fackler <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Unusual Tasting Apples - Anise
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 17:59:12 -0500

Tom Olenio wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone on-list tasted a Court Pendu Plat (Wise Apple) apple? I have
> read
> of an anise taste, which I believe is like licorice.

My response------

Court Pendu Plat as grown in So. Indiana (phsycological heaven, but
climatic
"hell") is very dry (in some years, almost no juice) sort of nutty flavored
with
no detectable licorice (well, perhaps fermented!!).
Tree habit is incredibly weak---looks dead most of the time or near death
perhaps and I've had in on several vigorous rootstock types. Susceptible to
every known disease and insect, plus a few which are unknown.
Its only redeeming habit is indeed its late bloom, very late, some 12-14
days after N. Spy and some 20 days after most crabs.

Hope this helps.

Ed, So. Indiana

> Image of apple: http://www.nfc.u-net.com/Pendu.jpg
>
> "COURT PENDU PLAT. (short hanging flat) is ancient apple believed to date
> from Roman days. It is flat with a very short stem causing it to lay against
> the stem like a peach. It is bright yellow flushed with rose over a fawn
> russet skin giving an
> appearance much like Italian marble. Leroy, the great French pomologist,
> referred to its "after taste of musky anise deliciously perfuming the
> mouth."
> Written by Theo C. J. Grootendorst.
>
> Has anyone grafted Court Pendu Plat to M7 rootstock?
>
> It is supposed to be a small tree on its own roots, and wonder what size
> tree
> this grafting would produce.
>
> It is known as the Wise Apple, as it flowers late avoiding frosts, has late
> ripening fruit, that will store till April.
>
> Regards,
> Tom

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details