nafex - Re: [nafex] apple tree nurseries. Part II

  • From: jhecksel@voyager.net
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] apple tree nurseries. Part II
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 20:05:31 -0800

Hi all:

Regarding the nurseryman's problem of lumpy demand: I think it behooves
us (customers) to list second and third choices if we want to keep
specialty, high service nurseries in business.

I often find myself making tough choices. My wants consistently exceed
my budget. So I flip a coin and order Nova Spy apple trees instead of
Enterprise, for example. It is to our mutual advantage to have the
nursery owner know that. He/she might run out of Nova Spy. Knowing my
second choice allows him/her to still make a sale and I can still get
trees I want.

Do any of the nurserymen out there care to comment: Just how lumpy is
demand for specialty cultivars like Florina or Roxbury Russet? How much
does demand vary over a five year window?
--

-Joe Hecksel
Eaton Rapids, Michigan

Personal webpage open to the public at