nafex - Re: [nafex] Tree guards for borers

  • From: "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Tree guards for borers
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 09:27:50 -0800

Tha various tree guard only protect the above ground part of the tree. The
meadow
mice (aka voles) eat the below ground part of the roots.

In the PNW those meadow mice run in tunnels up to 6" below the soil level.
They
use the upper tunnels when it is warm and the lower tunnels when it is cold.

Actually I think I was told that they use the upper tunnels for moving around
the
orchard and collecting feed and the lower levels for reproducing and sleeping.

I use traps with RAMIK to get the meadow mice. They bring the bait back to
their
nests, but I have to keep checking traps weekly in cold weather especially in
January and February.

I put chicken wire around blocks of nursery trees and the Ramik traps inside
the
chicken wire. Ramik is deadly to cats and dogs.

Derry

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove, B. C., Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Home web page http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML
: Is burying the screen say 2" deep - enough to keep out any vole, tree borer
: or other life forms looking for dessert?
: Is the 3" diameter screen tube a proper choice of size?...that is, is a 3"
: dia tree of the age ready to have it taken off and not be instantly devoured
: by the awaiting minnions.....?

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details
http://click.egroups.com/1/11231/0/_/423498/_/982690833/