nafex - Re: [nafex] Tree guards for borers

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Tree guards for borers
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 15:13:35 -0000

Michael, I'm not up to speed yet on tree borers yet.....but I guess
it's a
reason toward window screen - over say 1/4" 'hardware cloth' (besides the
price difference).
How big are these little buggers?
It seems to me the joint where the screen edges join would have to be
nearly perfect, so one should overlap the joint before stapling instead of
just wrapping the screen around the tree and tying with twine (as i
suggested). This would make a more open tube, which would avoid the close
bark contact that Steve just warned against.
But, how does one seal the top, you mentioned spring staples...I
don't know
the term.
Is burying the screen say 2" deep - enough to keep out any vole, tree
borer
or other life forms looking for dessert?
Is the 3" diameter screen tube a proper choice of size?...that is, is
a 3"
dia tree of the age ready to have it taken off and not be instantly devoured
by the awaiting minnions.....?
Tree borers...anyone know of a web site with pretty macro pictures of
the
little monsters and the fun they have? Mn Del (Where it was just 24 below
and we're not transplanting any pears!)