nafex - [nafex] Re: Cherries in the south

  • From: lostman_amiga@yahoo.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Cherries in the south
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 00:27:43 -0000

--- In nafex@y..., "Yorrba" <marillen@e...> wrote:

Well, we will see what happens. I was at Ison's Nursery today
and while purchasing some perssimons I got a dwarf Stella Cherry
too. Its self-fertile and supposed to be good for the south.
The guy at the shop said that some years it may not fruit because
it may not get enough chill hours with the mild winters we get
down here sometimes.

I will keep the gang up dated.

Thanx for the advice

> Good luck on growing sweet cherries in that area. I used to have an
> orchard a few miles north of you (near Buford) and over a 15 year period
> tried the following:
> Black Tartarian (4 trees)
> Starkcrimson (2 trees)
> Emperor Francis &
> Hedelfingen (1 tree each)
>
> I got the first two cultivars to bloom, but no fruit on any of them because
> they would develop a gumming from the trunk and then die. A couple of the
> BT's and the
> Stkc lived over 5 years- the others just a couple. I believe at least
> those two cultivars may have made it had I sprayed for cherry leaf spot.
> This disease is BAD in N.
> GA and will defoliate and debilitate sweets. My sour cherries (several
> cultivars) did very well, produced abundantly and are still alive (20 +
> years for the oldest).
> Dukes may be worth a try. I no longer live in that area, but I would love
> to try some Dukes if I can find a source and will be planting a 'Sue' sweet
> soon. I intend to
> start a small cherry breeding program for the South, but I've intended to
> do that for over a decade- (gotta make a livin').
>
> I'd love to hear what you decide to do and how it goes.
>
> Mar
>
> On Thu, 08 Feb 2001 20:07:49 -0000, lostman_amiga@y... wrote:
>
> >Hello all,
> >
> >I am new to this list and to NAFEX (and to fruit growing).
> >This is a wonderful resource!!
> >I am in the proccess of building an edible landscape and I am
> >searching for information about growing cheeries in the south. I am
> >in Atlanta GA. (zone 8a-8b)I have read that may area is on the edge of
> >the range for sour cherries. But I cant seen to get specific info on
> >the south.
> >Does anyone have any resources or web links?
> >
> >Any sweet cherries I can look at?
> >I would like the Dwarf Cherry Combo that Raintree sells.
> >Is that asking for to much? :)
> >
> >thanx

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details