nafex - Re: [nafex] online database project for apples

  • From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] online database project for apples
  • Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 14:51:14 +0000

Hi Mark,
I too have been full of motivation for a long time working on several
data bases of varieties, parentage, resistances, there is so much out there
that could be organized! I don't mean to rain on your parade, but here are a
few things you may want to consider.
The problem is that some people have taken it upon themselves to publish
their opinions on the origin of varieties and what is what when, in fact, no
one will ever know for sure and your guess is as good as mine. This may not
seem important to some, but if the information highway is to be a reliable
source of information, then it's our responsibility not to corrupt it.
Please don't take me wrong and don't be discouraged from your quest. It
is a worthwhile one which I have partially accomplished for my own purposes
for now. My point is that there is already a lot of misinformation out
there, however there are also some knowledgeable people around that can look
over your work and edit it or approve of what is correct. That is the only
way I would go. If the information wasn't already such a mess the data base
would be done!
Good luck............vic

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details