nafex - [nafex] online database project for apples

  • From: "Mark Lee" <piper3@uswest.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] online database project for apples
  • Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 18:21:58 -0000

I have been gathering information recently to create a database of
apple varieties. This was going to be for my own use, but I found a
service called Bitlocker that allows anyone to create an online
database for free.

Disclaimer: I am not associated with Bitlocker, just a satified user.

I happened to have a spreadsheet of information that I downloaded
from St. Lawrence Nursuries online catalog that I could upload today
to my Bitlocker account.

Disclaimer: I am not associated with St. Lawrence Nursuries, just a
potential customer that enjoys reading their catalog.

Anyone can access my database by visiting the following page:
http://www.bitlocker.com/guest?c=2&r=5526420319110391 .

I am presenting this database as an example of how a NAFEX member may
research apple varieties online. Here is an example.

Search: Early ripening apple with Mcintosh parentage
The database returns...
****************
Alton
Early McIntosh X NY 845
Red wash over yellow
White, fine-grained flesh bleeding to pink when fully ripe. Pleasant
flavor, good for eating or cooking. Not a keeper.

Early McIntosh
McIntosh X Yellow Transparent
Yellow, red striped
Early-mid
White, tender flesh with pleasant flavor. Good for home and local
markets.

Niagara
Carlton X McIntosh
Red
Early to mid Exceptionally vigorous grower. Fruit similar to
McIntosh, with high dessert quality.

Puritan
McIntosh X Red Astrachan
Red
Early-mid
White flesh, good flavor, somewhat tart, McIntosh-type. Tree has good
structure, tends to bear biennially.

Tydeman Red
McIntosh X Worcester Pearmain
Red, yellow Early to early-mid Firm-fleshed with mild, pleasant
flavor; good quality dessert for fresh eating. Keeps well at 32
degrees F.
***********

I entered this search request by clicking on BROWSE, FIND, ADD FIND,
Parentage Contains McIntosh <enter>, ADD FIND, Season Contains Early
<enter>

I created this database from a csv-format file I already had on my
own PC. Uploading and formating the database online took less than
30 minutes. There are 140 apples listed in the database so far,
after uploading one of my lists. I have others files with additional
varieties that I will upload soon. I know of no other free database
like this for apples available on the internet or anywhere. It would
be cool if others that share my interest creating this kind of
resource could either add to what I have started, or start their own
database on Bitlocker - in the spirit of Linux development. Any one
else interested in such an effort?

-Mark Lee

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details