nafex - Re: [nafex] Thanks for the chip budding article.

  • From: "Gordon C. Nofs" <gcnofs@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Thanks for the chip budding article.
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 22:06:26 -0500

H.D.
You have to remember that spring budding is a sepeate entity to your fall
budding. So watch with the extra wrapping.
Gordon C. Nofs Flint, Mich. Composer of article.
I purchase colored electrical tape and use a permenent hoticultuar marker.
They last for years. Can be purchased in many colors at your local hardware
store.

I have a suggestion. Once, the chip is secure in place with a grafting
elastic, it should also be wrapped in a plastic of some sort to maintain
humidity for the first few days which are crucial for a good take. My rate
of success has increase since I do this extra step.

As good labelling is very important, we all discover this sooner or later, I
now use plastic shopping bags in different colours to identify different
varieties and take note of colours on paper. Next, I only have to label the
succesful budding. Saves a lot of time on labelling while serving a
necessary function of conserving moisture and protecting the chip.

Hélène in Québec, looking out from a hole dug in the snow... and more
falling.