nafex - [nafex] Apple breeding

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Apple breeding
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 08:00:46 -0000

>From my reading, apple breeders have found that using some cultivars
as parents gives much better results than using others. I'm sorry
that I can't quote references.

If you want a character in the progeny, you choose parents which show
that character, or parents whose own parents showed it (especially if
you are crossing the F2's to get lots of variation).

If I were breeding for cold hardiness in the F1s, I would far rather
cross say September Ruby x Goodland than Cox Orange x Golden
Delicious.

If I were after eating quality in F1s I would choose
Cox Orange x Golden Delicious over Haas x Bancroft.

I would guess, for example, that the Minnesota station used Malinda a
lot as a parent because it got results for their requirements.

Doug Woodard

--- In nafex@egroups.com, Fluffy Bunny <the.fluffy.bunny@j...> wrote:
> Ed wrote:
>
> Yes, there have been several studies which imply validity of the
> above.
> Unfortunately, until very recently, many seedlings which germinated
late
> were
> discarded as being weak growers, non vigorous, etc.
> If folks down south wanted low-chill and high quality, you
might
> think
> about crossing Sundowner x GoldRush.
> Just a thought.
>
> My reply:
>
> Hmmmm...
>
> Okay so here is the thought.
>
> In previous posts you have stated with a certain level of
affirmation
> that apples are very "inbred", so inbred that in general, all the
talk of
> germ plasm preservation is relatively futile in regard to
the "apple".

> After conducting a minor analysis I would agree with your
supposition.