nafex - [nafex] honeylocust

  • From: "R. Keith Etheridge" <grandpa@chipsnet.com>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] honeylocust
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 21:56:11 -0600

Thanks to everyone who contributed information on the utilization of honeylocust pods.The reason for my inquiry
was that the trees I thought were black locust,I found out are
honeylocust.I found an internet site which differentiated the
two and honeylocust have long compound thorns.In the forty-plus years I have had the property I have never seen a cow,horse,or squirrel eat a pod.If my trees are typical I would certainly discourage any one to introduce them to a property but I already have the problem and am intending to get some brush goats this spring and was curious if they would eat the pods.
I have contacted Andy Wilson of th Springfree Agroforestry
Project and he has been very helpful and is sending me information on grafting seedless cultivars etc.
Keith Etheridge
central Illinois

eGroups Sponsor