nafex - Re: [nafex] honeylocust

  • From: PermacultureNo1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] honeylocust
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 11:05:13 EST

In a message dated 01/09/01 11:58:06 PM, grandpa@chipsnet.com writes:

<< Thanks to everyone who contributed information on the utilization of
honeylocust pods.The reason for my inquiry

was that the trees I thought were black locust,I found out are

honeylocust.I found an internet site which differentiated the

two and honeylocust have long compound thorns.In the forty-plus years I have
had the property I have never seen a cow,horse,or squirrel eat a pod.If my
trees are typical I would certainly discourage any one to introduce them to a
property but I already have the problem and am intending to get some brush
goats this spring and was curious if they would eat the pods.

I have contacted Andy Wilson of th Springfree Agroforestry

Project and he has been very helpful and is sending me information on
grafting seedless cultivars etc.

Keith Etheridge

central Illinois >>

Another person who has done a lot of work on honeylocust is Greg Williams who
edits HortIdeas. Also there is a lot mentioned about honeylocust in the
classic book by JRussel Smith, Tree Crops: A Permanent Agriculture.

DH