nafex - [nafex] Re: good stuff, perhaps

  • From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: good stuff, perhaps
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 19:28:04 -0000

Regarding size/flavor in a blueberry, I have read that all (or most)
of the flavor is in the skin, so though there probably is variation
between cultivars, larger berries will tend to be more bland and the
smaller berries more flavorful.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@egroups.com, fluffy bunny <the.fluffy.bunny@j...> wrote:
> Ed(Living and Lovin it in Indiana)wrote:
>
> Jeez, Fluff, I didn't realize that rabbits like blueberries!!!
Here,
> they starve prior to eating them!
>
> My reply:
>
> Yes I like them very much. Actually it is just part of my
research for
> my retirement orchard/garden. I "know" I can sell the blue berries
at an
> abnormal profit. The trick is learning to manage them. I simply
do not
> buy the standard lines. I am absolutely convinced that "low PH is
> fable" at best. Blueberries are interesting. I have had the
fortune to
> observe a lot of producers and frankly they all have methods that
are
> widely divergent.
>
> By the by, according to my old siguama(a term select American
Indians use
> to describe what amounts to a mentor)blue berry bark is actually
toxic to
> rabbits and accumulates in the liver. I don't know how true that
is, but
> like many native Amercian groups the folklore usually was based on
astute
> observation.
>
> Ed wrote:
>
> I suppose as with humans, there is ethnic preferences amongst
other
> animal species as well!!
>
> My reply:
>
> And prejudice. Have you ever heard of the relationship between
Lions
> and Cheetahs. The get along about as well as the
>
> Ed wrote:
>
> Foremost priority is flavor, as I've not found many which have
> pronounced flavor, all rather bland to my taste.
> Distant secondary priority is size.
>
> My reply:
>
> Interesting. Your current selections of Blueray and Coville are not
> known for being bland. In fact Coville is rather intense in some
senses,
> literally. I state that because it is a particularity aromatic
fruit.
> In other words the old sniffer has a lot to do with how you perceive
> Coville.
>
> I wonder if you would describe Blueray as very sweet with some
tart, or
> simply as tart? The reason I mention this is Blueray is very
sweet, but
> I believe most people pick it too early.
>
> Anyway, I have a definite preference for "wild" blueberry taste as
I find
> many to be simply to bland for my taste. As a result I greatly
prefer
> the Northern Minnesota releases. As previously noted on this list
they
> are not particularity productive in the commercial planting
sense. My
> favorites among this group based solely on taste(I like that wild
berry
> zing) are:
>
> Northblue(larger fruit)
> Northland(good production)
> Northsky(light yield, not typical in growing or general care)
>
> An excellent tasting, though not particularity wild tasting berry is
> Chippewa, it is very sweet)
>
> Early:
>
> Earliblue(good flavor, sweet, but rather mild tasting)
> Ivanhoe(yummy sweet-tart balance)
> Spartan(excellent flavor, sweet and zesty, sort of touchy to grow,
I meet