nafex - Re: [nafex] good stuff, perhaps

  • From: DocKW@aol.com
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] good stuff, perhaps
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 18:31:09 EST

Here in zone 5 lower CT we have a home garden with about a dozen blueberry
bushes. When I added a couple more, they were mostly earliblue, which is
very tasty when full ripe. I find that when one is going to make a pie, just
like apple pies are better with at least 3 varieties, we find the full real
blueberry flavor is best with at least 4 varieties of blueberries (typically,
earliblue, bluecrop, blueray, and several others are in the mix). I find
that most of the varieties we grow are best if left on the bush several days
after they are fully blue...they tend to sweeten up a bit.
If I had to do this commercially I'm afraid I'd starve to death...but the
quality of these is good. And all the ones mentioned produce enough to bend
the bushes to the ground..
Best wishes.
Karl Olson, amateur.....:)