nafex - Re: [nafex] Fruit feedback requested

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Fruit feedback requested
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 17:37:24 -0800

Try NAFEX's own Hidden Springs Nursery (Hector Black - see Interest Groups
in the back of POMONA for the address) for a better selection of medlars.
Bletting is a process like letting the fruit get overripe. There is no mold
or rot on it, but the natural enzymes that bring about maturity have broken
down the acids and tannins in the fruit and the result is really quite good,
rather like spiced apple sauce.
-Lon Rombough
----------
>From: Gene Spears <Spears@LMC.edu>
>To: "'nafex@egroups.com'" <nafex@egroups.com>
>Subject: [nafex] Fruit feedback requested
>Date: Sun, Dec 17, 2000, 5:29 PM
>

> I just received the Southmeadow Fruit Garden (lots of heirlooms)
>catalog & have been tempted to purchase a few varieties. Before taking the
>plunge, I'd appreciate feedback from any folks with experience with these
>varieties. I'm at 4000' in the southern Appalachians, zone 6 with cool and
>often wet summers. Soil is naturally acidic - lots of my lawn is grass
>growing through moss.
>
>Apple varieties are Ashmead's Kernel and Hidden Rose
>
>I'm also considering getting the Nottingham medlar, but have some qualms
>about this one. Can anyone explain the difference between "bletting",
>allowing the fruit to turn brown & soften, and "rotting".
>
>thanks in advance.
>
>gene
>spears@lmc.edu

eLerts