nafex - [nafex] Re: Hardiness/topworking observations

  • From: edforest55@hotmail.com
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Hardiness/topworking observations
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 14:45:23 -0000

Re topworking plums - All topworking of various hardy prairie plums
> (Pembina, Brook Red, etc) on Americana seem fully hardy for me,

Bernie, have you noticed any INCREASE in hardiness? My Superior plums
have died back every single year for 8 or 9 years, so this year I
grafted them high onto P americana, I am very hopefull that next year
I will have live Superior wood above the snow line.

As an example, Mount Royal grafted on Americana at ground level makes
a very
> dwarfy, 3 ft. bush with poor production from what I've seen, but it
does
> seem to survive.

Yes, Frank Foltz grafts his Mt Royals onto P americana and advises
his customers to bury the union so that the Mt Royal will root.

Kevin B

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/423498/_/976891537/