nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: airlayering and alternatives

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: airlayering and alternatives
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 13:44:03 -0600

I've seen a propagating tip offered on one of the gardening/plant
propagation websites, which the poster indicated would work with virtually
all woody plants, though I'm certain that timing will be different for some
species than others.
In essence, this procedure entailed making a stab incision completely
through the center of whatever limb/twig you intended to root, inserting a
toothpick to hold the wound 'open', and allowing about two months for
callus formation. The person who offered this technique indicated that she
performs this operation around 15 Aug to 15 Sept., then after two months
have passed, she detaches the limb/twig, dips in rooting hormone and sticks
it in a coldframe, to root over the winter.
She claims this will work with any woody plant, but I've not tried it yet
on any oaks, pecans, or hickories, which are notorious in their resistance
to attempts at rooting from cuttings. Maybe next year.

I suppose one could perhaps, shortcut it and do a routine airlayer of a
branch prepared in this manner.
Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY