nafex - Re: [nafex] airlayering

  • From: jhecksel@voyager.net
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] airlayering
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:18:55 -0800

Hortus wrote:

> =============================
>
> air layering
> ---------------
>
> Have you information on the use of rooting hormones on layer
> site when *air layering* hardy trees.
>
> Especially regarding:
> -use of solution or dry powder
> -seasonal differences in concentrations
> -solution soaking of media

I had good luck air layering Illinois Everbearing Mulberry and Jonafree
apple.

I did not use any hormones on the mulberry, but wish I had. I started
the layers prior to leafing. Roots were small and restricted to one side
of the stem.

I used 2500 PPM NAA in a 30% alcohol solution on the Jonafree apple. I
scuffed up the bark to expose wood and used a paper towel to mop the
solution onto the wound. A shoe polish dispenser would be the way to
fly if one was to do many trees this way. The layer on the Jonafree was
started about June 15 and I unintentionally stripped many leaves to
slide the milk-jug down the stem. I thought it was a lost cause at that
point. Roots were a mix of thick ones and thready. They were well
distributed around the stem and up and down the stem. I was very happy
with the way the apple turned out, especially after I mangled the top.

--

-Joe Hecksel
Eaton Rapids,

Comfort the afflicted.