nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: Fall Transplanting

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: Fall Transplanting
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 08:20:30 -0500

Hello,

I read somewhere that although deciduoius trees are "dormant" in winter, the
trees are still growing, albeit so slowly it is unperceptible. It would
make sense or callusing would never happen over the winter.

My guess would be that based on your climate, and whether the tree was
potted or field dug, you would need to take different precautions when
transplanting in the fall. But a fall transplant has more time to slowly
aclimate to the new location.

This fall I moved a mature dwarf apple tree and I took all the precautions I
could find. The roots are mulched with 4" of wood chips, it was watered
regularly, the trunk and main branches were wrapped in heavy paper. All
done to help reflect winter heat and retain moisture (even sprayed it with
antidesicant spray before I wrapped it in paper).

I don't expect my newly transplanted mature tree to do much next year but
put down new roots, but I suspect it will make it through the winter. I am
hoping that it is unperceptibly settling in to its new home.

Regards,
Tom

--
Thomas Olenio